Posts for tag: DVT
Deep vein thrombosis is a blood clot that can partially or completely block blood flow back to the heart and cause damage to the one-way valves in the veins. The blood clot usually forms in a calf or thigh, but can also occur in the veins of the upper extremities.
The clot can also break free and travel through your blood to major organs, such as your lungs, which can be fatal. By visiting your podiatrist you can better understand DVT and how to properly prevent it from occurring.
Lowering Your Risk of DVT
To lower your risk and help prevent deep vein thrombosis, follow these important steps:
- Maintain an active lifestyle and exercise daily.
- Manage your weight by exercising and eating a healthy diet.
- If you smoke, it is important to quit.
- Check your blood pressure regularly, and take steps to lower it if necessary.
- Report any family or personal history of blood-clotting problems to your podiatrist.
- Discuss alternatives to birth control pills or hormone-replacement therapy
- If you are on an airplane for more than 4 hours, either walk or do leg stretches in your seat and also stay well hydrated and avoid alcohol consumption.
Visit your podiatrist for further information on deep vein thrombosis, and for more tips on how to prevent it from developing.